U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: possible answer to archivalness comparison between carbon gum andp

Re: possible answer to archivalness comparison between carbon gum andpt/pd

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: possible answer to archivalness comparison between carbon gum andpt/pd
  • From: Gawain Weaver <gawain.weaver@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 08:04:31 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:user-agent:date:subject:from:to:message-id:thread-topic:thread-index:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;bh=j7eLDrO2O1/6dmmTySrTV9J+Dovweu0hd0ObBbKZUEg=;b=wvfmRQioBAAh8lROmX46boNJcdCZwZyUdoT+rHmqLy/irRlB/7zDth4DGvyvvwCr5+AutAvNkXQ6xMiZojhcXjiEdXkR/6eqn7hweEF3DVb2mhg0CL5hsbz3LiaWAeEWb/e9qaGqfzrmXNBYs/Fci0zZMrPAbB3YUcU6/hLFDQM=

Christine-In the spirit of full disclosure I have spent the last 2 1/2 years
associated with IPI as a fellow or researcher, so I'm hardly impartial, but
I agree with everything (more or less). The original statement that gum is
not archival is clearly wrong (I don't think that was ever a point of
contention here), however, as was pointed out in the last archival
go-around, archivalness is not a useful measure when speaking of the
permanence qualities of various processes, and I don't think there can be
any one correct answer to the question

The degradation processes of platinum are very complex and not fully
understood. I suspect even Mike Ware would agree. And the fact that platinum
is not one process, but a vast array of possibilities and varying processing
solutions, only makes it worse. Platinum does appear to have a catalytic
effect on paper, though in well-made and stored prints it does not seem to
affect the paper support--only paper stored in contact with the print. The
developing agent is not generally a problem, but of course, hydrochloric
acid (when used for clearing) is very damaging to paper. Residual iron also
appears to cause both staining and paper degradation, but again, the
problems are complex and not well studied.

The most amazing thing to me is that Sandy and others, who have no doubt
seen far more carbon prints than I, have never seen cracking in the dmax
areas. This has been so common in my experience that it often useful for
identification. It doesn't always happen by any means, but I have seen more
prints with cracks than I could count.

Gawain

--
Gawain Weaver