From: Yves Gauvreau [mailto:gauvreau-yves@cgocable.ca]
Sent: 14 March 2008 20:03
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Tone mapping: was Re: curves and gum and Christopher James book

Dan and all,

They say an image is worth a thousand words, so here is one that will speak
for me http://users.skynet.be/philippe.berger/Degrade01.jpg. I always say
I'm not good enough in english and that I don't have the vocabulary to
express ideas and concept acceptably. I hope this image will help you make
your own judment on this tone mapping stuff.

I also say thanks to Philippe Berger for putting this image on his site.

This image shows 3 simple gradients.

On the left you have a strait gradient from black (0) to white (255), lets
say it's our original.

In the center you have the same left image map linearly to a real world
carbon print max black to max white with no tweaking of any kind. This is
what stretching the scan does before it is almost burried by the printing
process fuzzyness and other tweaking one might add.

On the right, you have yet another mapping of the left image to the same max
black to max white as in the center but this time it was done in an attemp
to preserve as much as possible of the original caracteristics.

Regards,
Yves