From: Huib Smeets huib@huibsmeets.com
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:09:39 +0100 (CET)
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: Replacing my old 1280 with....?

Hi Kerik,

just a polite/friendly reply :-) not worth getting an argument over.

On 3800 and switching ink from this website:
people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/faq.html

Epson claims that switching from PK to MK uses 1.52 mL of ink and that
switching from MK to PK uses 4 mL of ink.

Here are the results from my own testing.

Switching from PK to MK takes 2:04 minutes. According to the printer
panel, 2% of MK ink is used in the process. 2% of 80 mL is 1.6 mL of ink,
so this is comparable to Epson's claim of 1.52 mL. No other inks are
consumed during the switch. As of October 2007, ink costs around $0.56/mL,
so the cost of switching from PK to MK is about 85 cents.

Switching from MK to PK takes 3:07 minutes. According to the printer
panel, 5% of PK ink is used in the process. 5% of 80 mL is 4 mL of ink, so
this matches Epson's claim. No other inks are consumed during the switch.
As of October 2007, ink costs around $0.56/mL, so the cost of switching
from MK to PK is about $2.25.

Cheers,

Huib