U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: shipping unexposed POP

Re: shipping unexposed POP

From: Robert Krawiec <robk64@yahoo.com>
Subject: shipping unexposed POP
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:15:06 -0700 (PDT)

> Does anyone know if any special precautions are needed
> when shipping unexposed POP?

Same as storage: keep humidity and temperature low.

> I'm guessing overseas packages get x-rayed, and if so would
> POP be sensitive to this?

POP emulsions use very fine grain emulsions, which have a
particularly poor sensitivity to x-ray, gamma ray, cosmic ray,
beta particles, etc. I can imagine the emulsion may print out
if you irradiate with low energy electron beam or alpha
particles of any energy level, or a very high flux of any
radiation, but otherwise, these radiations do not print out
image like UV light.

> How about to the x-rays that checked luggage is subjected to
> on airlines?

I don't want to be held responsible, but I don't think this is
an issue. I would not put any material for development process
to a powerful x-ray scanner, though.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Make something religious and people don't have to deal with it, they