U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: LC-1 developer question

Re: LC-1 developer question

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: LC-1 developer question
  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:53:12 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "david drake" <daviddrakephoto@sympatico.ca>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:43 AM
Subject: LC-1 developer question

Last week I made up some LC-1 developer and arrived today to find
that it had precipitated out a large number of long crystals. I did
make the developer double strength, as I had hoped it would cut my
long developing time for lith film (which it did). I am assuming that
it was the sodium sulphite which caused the crystals? Doubling the
sodium sulphite meant adding 120 grams to 1 litre of solution A. I'm
wondering if I need to add that much sodium sulphite, perhaps you
only need a certain percentage, assuming that it's not actually an
active part of the developer? I have strained the developer but
haven't used it yet.
So my question are:
-were the crystals from an over concentration of sodium sulphite?
-do I need to use double the amount of sodium sulphite in a double
strength developer?

thanks,
david

david drake photography
www.daviddrakephotography.com

120 grams per liter is getting close to the saturation limit for sulfide (I think its about 150 grams/liter). Temperature may have some effect. Try warming the developer to see if the needles go back into solution.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com