U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: LC-1 developer question

Re: LC-1 developer question

The solubility of sodium sulfite is above 120g/l at room
temperature, and sodium sulfite does not make needle shaped
crystals. Needle shaped crystals are more likely Metol, or
mixed crystal of Metol and hydroquinone. The solubility of
these organics are significantly lower at a lower pH, and also
with a high salt content (which is provided by
sulfite). Developing agents that are more soluble than Metol
are, almost always, less effective and less potent than Metol
as a developing agent. One exception is the agents of
Phenidone family, discovered in 1940s.

Historically, developers in liquid concentrate form did not
come to a widespread practice until 1960s, when people became
increasingly lazy, and when Phenidone became commercially
manufactured.

Now, if I want to bring powder developers to the market to
save fuel consumption during transportation, reduce the number
of plastic bottles that will have to be recycled, and prolong
the shelf life of the developer, all in the interest of better
overall environmental impacts, the business people tell me
that's not going to sell at all.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Make something religious and people don't have to deal with it, they