From: Richard Knoppow [mailto:dickburk@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 12:29 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: LC-1 developer question

-----Original Message-----

    To clarify, I assume you mean in terms of the de-oxgenating the water since dissolving the sulfite first makes dissolving the Metol difficult.

>instantly removing dissolved oxygen. If absolutely minimal
>oxidation of Metol is required (such as in research
>developers), it is probably more important to deaerate the
>water and dissolve all ingredients as quickly as
>possible. However, if deaeration is necessity for a particular
>developer, I would have to say that the developer is poorly
>formulated and not good enough for practice.
>
>If you dissolve Metol separately in an alkaline solution and
>combine with high salt content, it may be easier to make all
>the solids go into the solution. However, it is difficult to
>say whether the dissolved state is stable. Even if the
>concentration in the bulk solution exceeds the solubility
>limit, the solution may be in the supersaturation
>state. However, if there are some seed crystals, or some
>debries, or even some rough surface on the container, the
>crystals may grow on it fast (thus supersaturation decreases)
>and only then you realize the problem. If the formula is well
>made and well tested, none of these needs be worried on the
>user side.
>
>--
>Ryuji Suzuki

     A related question: Do you have any idea of what Kodak does to make it possible to dissolve combined powder chemicals like D-76 and Dektol?  Long ago some developers which are now a single powder came in two parts.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com