U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: SPE and alt update

RE: SPE and alt update

I have to agree with Christina, it was not a terribly inspiring SPE. Ok, I
didn't go to any of the presentations since I had to spend a lot of time in
our booth yakking at folks who came by, including the wonderful Christina.
(My first SPE was at UC Riverside in the early 80's.I spent much of my time
there hanging out with Larry Clark. He was an outcast, and in a way so was I
-- I was "commercial," not an academic.) Back when, people were interested
in process photography. Now, I dunno. Students would drop by the booth and
watch Dana make a platinum print and seem somewhat bewildered. And to top it
off, were totally unexcited. We did have a few customers drop by just to get
an actual look at us and say hello. That was nice.

The print showing the Christina mentioned was dismal. Well over 100 people
showing and 95+ percent were color digital and I venture that the average
print size was way over 20x24. And imitative? They all looked alike. I did
spend some time with a Ms. Diaz  (first name escapes me) who was doing
copper gravures in 4x5 sizes, lovely images. We commiserated together about
people calling plastic gravures "Photo Gravures." When I found out that she
was from Puerto Rico, I asked if by a rare chance she knew Nitza Luna.
Bingo! She was her student at Sacred Heart. Nitza was a platinum student in
the Master's program when I was an adjunct at Brooks in the early 80's.

Bottom line: virtually no one is doing anything other than digital and very
little excitement about the handmade. This runs counter to my experience
teaching in Santa Fe. I keep getting the same students over and over in my
carbon class. They are excited! But I have to teach it in my studio. The
facilities at the college are wretched for alt stuff. No exposure units
there - we have to bring our own Pizza Boxes, whereas we have 3 plate
burners at the studio for a max of 10 students. You can put 25 Macs in a
room and teach 25 at a time. It's economical and efficient.  Our way is time
consuming and not very efficient.

Speaking of pizza boxes, I require the students to produce a 10-15 print
portfolio, matted and in a box. For last semester's final, one of the
students remembered the box requirement on the way to class. The prints were
presented in a Domino's Pizza box he bought unused for a dollar on the way
to class. I think it upped him by half a grade point!

--Dick