U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | SIZE Re: Photogravure was: Re: SPE and alt update!!!!!!

SIZE Re: Photogravure was: Re: SPE and alt update!!!!!!

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: SIZE Re: Photogravure was: Re: SPE and alt update!!!!!!
  • From: liz tuttie <ituttie@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 20:03:52 -0400

Title: Re: Photogravure was: Re: SPE and alt update
Big VS small

In centuries past artists were only able to create small prints  due to available tools of the artists trade at the time. Etchings, engravings etc.. were commonly put in albums which were enjoyed and shared . Rather like showing a friend a personal  collection. Or perhaps like showing a friend a favorite DVD.  Then there were the "paintings" larger images which were hung on walls. Later as plates got larger and the availability to use larger presses, engravings and etchings began to hang on walls.. In essences , print makers originally created images that were in albums painters painted paintings that hung on walls.  Times have changed and technology has evolved. We are more and more able to create larger and larger works as "print" makers, in essence,  whether it is a gum or carbon or pd/pt or any alt. process requiring a negative. We are  more and more able to make larger negatives. Each artist has his or her own statement to make. To say an image created by any process, and by any of us , should be best seen large or small is truly up to the artist who is making the work, and that statement the artist whishes to make.  Yes small is beautiful and so is big. It is the work that counts not the size.  Study the past and grow into the future.

Liz Tuttie