U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: A few gum things

RE: A few gum things

Christina, here's my funny and I guess this is topical.

Back in the late 70's or early 80's I taught gum classes in my garage
workspace. The space was primitive to say the least. The classes were taught
through the non-profit CameraVision Gallery. As I was looking at the checks
I saw that one student's check was printed Lydia Clark Heston and Charlton
Heston. When I talked to Lydia she preferred that she just be plain old
Lydia. Lydia usually came with her studio assistant but one day she came
alone and I knew she does not drive so someone mut have brought her. At
nearing the end of class in walks Mr. Heston to drive her back home. I
introduced him awkwardly as Lydia's husband and there was no sign of obvious
recognition. Most people have seen celebrities up close and realize that
often without makeup and film lighting they look quite different. After they
left, one of the students asked, having some sense of familiarity with the
face, "Who was that?

I said, figuring he knew, "Moses."

All I got was a puzzled "Huh?"

Heston had spent the intervening class time in a nearby neighborhood bar
called the Tonga Hut. It's still there with Tiki torches outside and all!
That must have been a hoot.

He came as her driver a number of times after that, but I don't think anyone
realized who he was. At the last class we had some Champaign and showed
prints and Lydia was talking about shooting Charlton on the set and the cat
was out. Several students asked him for autographs and later I "apologized."
Heston said no need to. When he was in college as a drama major he dreamed
of the day when someone on the street would walk up and ask for an
autograph.

Lydia did make some really nice gum prints but I don't know if she ever
continued making them.

--Dick Sullivan