U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum Sizing Brush, Roller, Tray

Re: Gum Sizing Brush, Roller, Tray

Robert,

Like you I used to immerse paper in gelatin solution (often twice) and then
in dilute formalin. Nasty fumes, as you say, though not too bad with all the
windows open. However the whole process was tedious and messy, with drips of
gelatine and having to wait for paper to dry twice or even three times.

Then I tried brush sizing - ten times easier and just as effective. I make
up gelatine at 3.5%, take 200 ml of that in a jam jar, stand that on an old
hot tray (hostess tray?) to keep it at about 130-140 deg F (55-60C) and add
6 ml of 30% formalin. Then coat generously on one side of the paper, lay it
flat (face up, of course...) on newspaper until cool, and finally hang to
dry. I use a two inch decorators brush, and borrow the domestic clothes rack
and plastic pegs for drying.

Compared to the immersion way, this is economical in gelatin, formalin and
time, and seems to produce just as good results.

The fumes aren't bothersome (though I keep windows open and a fan blowing
outwards) and I shut the room and keep out for the rest of the day, just to
be sure.

Best wishes

Henry