U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Seeking: (1) orange LED safelight, (2) wire coating rod

Re: Seeking: (1) orange LED safelight, (2) wire coating rod

From: martinm <martinm@gawab.com>
Subject: Re: Seeking: (1) orange LED safelight, (2) wire coating rod
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:21:21 +0200

> In which case you'd have to cut the weak green line present
> in all the red LEDs I've seen.
> You can easily check that out with a diffraction grating, a
> CD or a DVD.

Do you know if orange LEDs of 625nm peak have that line?

Well, maybe I'll check whether orange LEDs can fog a high
speed negative emulsion without dye sensitization.

> That will largely depend on their length and diameter. By
> the way, DELRIN might be another candidate (I meanwhile saw
> that you can get a large selection of threaded plastic rods
> in the US, thanks).

I'll look into them...

> I am not sure about their wettability though. Fluoropoylmers
> most likely might be more difficult in that respect.

That may vary. But that may be ok with a combination of good
surfactants. Since coating rod wouldn't make bubbles, I could
use some effective anionic surfactant and blend in a small
amount of a fluorosurfactant, or a branched secondary alcohol
ethoxylates, at least. (I usually use non-branched ones
whenever their performance is adequate, as they are
biodegradable.)

> On the other hand I've used some liquid mold release
> products made of fluoropolymers (similar to Teflon) to treat
> a simple metal threaded rod.

Is that a coating tool? Can you elaborate?

> But I don't know to what extent those rods are "inert" with
> respect to a silver halide emulsion.

If the coating is PTFE or something, that's good.
HDPE, PVC, ABS, etc., are also good.
What I'd worry is iron, zinc, copper, etc.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,