U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Tintype Workshop?

Re: Tintype Workshop?

Well, unless one is trying to be a period-correct Civil War Reenactor, there are safer substitutes.  You can't get away from some ether in the collodion, but most of the ether can be substituted with grain or denatured alcohol. And, sodium or ammonium thiosulfates are perfectly adequate fixers that can replace the cyanide.  It is also not necessary to make the nitrocellulose (guncotton) since collodion USP is available readymade.

Check the link in my signature for more info.

And Carmen, John Coffer holds workshops near Watkins Glen, NY.  He's the contemporary grand master tintypist.  I've taken workshops from both John Coffer (http://johncoffer.com) and Michael Mazzeo and recommend both of them.  Also strongly recommended is John Coffer's "Do-er's Guide to Wet Plate Collodion Photography" collodion manual and DVD set.

Joe
___

My "Getting Started in Wetplate Collodion Photography" article:

2008 Wetplate Collodion Workshop schedule: