U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: alt process at the university level

Re: alt process at the university level

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: alt process at the university level
  • From: Projekti Vedos <vedos@samk.fi>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:59:32 +0300

Chris,
I'm not sure about other parts of Europe, but in Finland none of our photography schools has separate alt-photo programs, just occasional short courses. In art schools here it is quite common that students of printmaking learn (from alt techniques) photopolymer gravure, and maybe liquid silver emulsion and cyanotype.

Normally the schools are poorly equipped (considering alt printing), and it is hard to find competent teachers. In our school we are presently building some kind of alt program, we have 12 students doing their supplementary education at alternative printing methods. That's about maximum size group that we can handle, but we have the necessary equipment here in one place (uv-exp.unit, vacuum frames, etching and lithographic presses, darkrooms).

Also, in Sweden there is Biskops-Arnö Folkhögskola (introduced on Malin's site):
http://www.alternativephotography.com/articles/art024.html
It's a school running fulltime courses in alternative photographic processes. I'm not sure if one of the teachers, Lars Mellberg, is on this list ... ?
- Jalo