U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: alt process at the university level

RE: alt process at the university level

Judy's point here gets to something that has been bothering me about this
thread from the beginning. Which for me is the difference between
"education" and "training." The latter separates knowledge from the self and
the how from the why. I find this perfectly acceptable from a workshop
perspective, but not from a university degree.

This point was reinforced last week when I attended a recent MFA graduate's
oeuvre of experimental films. All but one of the films bored the hell out of
me, but I digress. When asked what he wanted people to take away from his
films he said, "a sense of existential angst." Hmm, seemed a bit
anachronistic, but I was at least intrigued. So I asked him whether he was
thinking about existentialism ala Sartre, ala Nietzsche, ala...? Alas, he's
only read one of Sartre's short stories and no Nietzsche, let alone any
others. He must have seen the horror on my face. He told me that as a
student he had, however, read "some articles" about the existentialists. I'm
still clueless as to how someone gets 7 years of education in the arts and
has little to no knowledge about the roots of their expression.

So it seems to me we ought to be asking, SHOULD there be a specialized alt
process program at the university level rather than is there one?

Mark