U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: STARTING POINT

Re: STARTING POINT

Hi Bob

Excuse me joining in late from the antipodes.

You may perhaps have a focus problem using variable contrast enlarging paper
in a large format camera.  Ctein reports in Post Exposure that some vc
emulsions are extraordinarily sensitive to the uv end of the spectrum which
the human eye can't see to focus.  Of course he was testing with enlarger
lenses, which may perform differently from camera lenses, but he found the
plane of focus for uv was as much as 12mm away from the visible plane of
focus at about 10x enlargement for the Kodak paper he was using.

If this is a problem then I guess a uv filter would solve it, but at the
expense of a good deal of speed because it seems the paper has little
sensitivity above green.

Don Sweet