U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Maltodextrin as Replacement For Gum

Re: Maltodextrin as Replacement For Gum

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
024401c8aad7$23ef8750$0200a8c0@DC5YX7B1" type="cite">
What might be the benefit over gum?  In other words, why the search for other colloids--does gum present problems that another colloid would solve, for instance?
How about price and availability for reasons. Gum is +$20 a pound and Maltodextrin is closer $1 a pound. Not that I'm going through Gum by the pound these days but when I order it I have to wait a week or more for it to come in from 1500 miles away (Quebec), whereas if I can go to a health food store and get the same effect or a different effect, why not? (If it actually works?! Which I doubt....)
~m