Re: Flattening Paper- Mini Tutorial
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Flattening Paper- Mini Tutorial
- From: John Grocott <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 12:08:06 +0100
- Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- List-id: alt-photo-process mailing list <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <Pine.NEB.email@example.com><firstname.lastname@example.org><Pine.NEB.email@example.com><firstname.lastname@example.org><Pine.NEB.email@example.com><4816E662.firstname.lastname@example.org><Pine.NEB.email@example.com><4818FDCE.firstname.lastname@example.org> <000c01c8ab89$63e461c0$ffe80252@win8d24f736839><4819BE48.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Clair and Whoever,
Brushing gelatine solution depends on the weight of my paper,
anything from 80gsm to 400gsm.The lighter weight paper will curl when I
apply gelatine solution to the back of it so, I have tried brushing on to
keyed Plexi first , then holding the sheet down with a sheet of cheap lining
paper, smoothing it out with the flat of my hand, then with a rubber roller
to squeeze out the air bubbles.
With weights up from about 120gsm I can apply gelatine
solution, without so much curling, directly to the back of my printing
paper, placing the Plexi sheet onto this, smoothing out, then turning the
sandwich over and, again removing air bubbles with rubber roller.
I have tried weaker gelatine solutions ( 5% to 10% ) but
for multiple coatings the stronger mix will keep the print paper adhered to
the Plexi sheet through subsequent coatings and drying stages.
Hope this helps.
John - Photographist - London - UK
----- Original Message -----
From: "cadunn" <email@example.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 1:57 PM
Subject: Re: Flattening Paper (was Seeking Information on 2 problems with
Do you meant that the gelatin is on the plexi -- then paper on top -- ?
And, how does this prevent curling when you dry it between coats?
John Grocott wrote:
First, I always apply my paper to a sheet of sandpapered
Plexiglass witha brushed 10% Gelatine solution. The multiple coatings
can be made with the paper held down this way and finally snapped off
when finished and dried.
It works for me.
Good Luck. John - Photographist - London - UK