U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Flattening Paper- Mini Tutorial

Re: Flattening Paper- Mini Tutorial

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Flattening Paper- Mini Tutorial
  • From: Henry Rattle <henry.rattle@ntlworld.com>
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 10:48:40 +0100

Clair - I use the Waterford 300 gsm HP. Like you, I find that it stays flat
enough that it isn't a problem to coat and process, at least in the 12x9
inch size that I tend to use. I hold it flat for coating in an old darkroom
masking frame which holds down all the edges. Again like you, I find that
after processing the very smooth hot-press finish comes up into a gentle
tooth. It shrinks just a little (0.5% - 1mm in 200 mm) in one dimension
only.

For gum, I've found that I need to size Waterford to avoid staining with
most colours. One coat (gelatin+formalin, brush-sized) is enough to prevent
most colours staining, although W&N lamp black still stains quite badly with
one coat sizing.

The print you show is very nice - quite unearthly.

Best wishes

Henry