U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: best film for 3800 PT/PD negs

RE: best film for 3800 PT/PD negs

Bob,

I've been using a 3800 for digital negs for over a year. The "normal" OHP
is all you need. Depending on how you make your negatives, you can create
"extreme denisities" with that film. Using the Quad Tone RIP (QTR) program
and the matte black ink, I've seen densities in the 4.0 range. Way more
than needed for palladium printing. The matte black has much more UV
blocking ability than photo black. I'm using the Photo black ink (both of
these are installed in the printer, BTW) along with most of the other
colors with QTR and getting negatives that print beautifully with smooth
tones and transitions with none of the grittiness that can occur with
highly colorized negatives. My negs are very neutal looking with perhaps a
hint of brownish-green.

Ron Reeder has some good info on his website about making digital negs with
the 3800.

www.ronreeder.com

You've made a wise choice of printer!

Kerik