U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Hmmm... Toyobo Printight KM43 vs KM73 for "photogravure"

Hmmm... Toyobo Printight KM43 vs KM73 for "photogravure"

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Hmmm... Toyobo Printight KM43 vs KM73 for "photogravure"
  • From: Brian Pawlowski <beepy@netapp.com>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 18:53:50 -0700 (PDT)

In the category of "argh" I seemed to have bought some Toyobo KM43
plates instead of the KM73 plates I have been using.

I'm playing with photogravure - wrestling shall we say. I was
wondering if anyone has compared the two plates?

As far as I can tell the only difference is thickness. Given the fine
structure (shallow relief) of photogravure I'm seeing (with a second
exposure of a 1200 dpi aquatint screen) I don't anticipate much
difference?

That said - Toyobo's site

   http://www.toyobo.co.jp/e/seihin/xk/print/k.htm

Shows the polymer thickness (relief) varies from .22mm for KM 43
to .43 or .47mm for KM73 (four different types?!?!)

I believe I bought the KM73 from Boxcar Press and the KM43 from
Takach press. I missed the difference in numbering.

Opinions? On what I'm facing?