U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: digital and analogue photography -the essay

Re: digital and analogue photography -the essay

Thanks David,

I agree with your observation about defensive converts -I hadn't thought of that before. I'm sure I am guilty of having responded negatively to an idea I had never entertained before too :-). I also agree with you about the blind following of that convenient catch-all word - 'progress'. Thanks, I will give that some thought as it is very relevant here as you suggest.

A correspondent also pointed out to me the difficulty some have acknowledging the highly commercial nature of the new digital technologies - and that what we once knew as photography, could be driven in this way. The art vs commerce debate has been a long running debate of course. Perhaps Walter Bejamin's essay (once a compulsory photography student reading) has always been read and understood as exsiting in the past. But here is the same issue confronting us all over again, now, in the pressent.

Chris Anderson's observation of how her students simply purchase cheap, large, colourful digital in-your-face prints is a case in point. An ex-colleague of mine complained about his students going to a cheap photo-lab for their big bright prints - but he blamed this on the (tiny, one-person, under resourced) print centre at the art school because it was not able to quickly print all the student's work (no matter how crappy the file), cheaply. My colleague has swallowed all the marketed 'promises' of the new technologies as being quick and easy and failed to consider the (personally experienced) actuality of the commerce and technology. As Chris suggests, her students don't have to get involved in the production of the print shop's print process, nor do they need to 'learn' anything here either, the bad file is invisibly fixed up, made big, colourful and glossy and the student is none the wiser. Viola! instant print, next, move on....

Anyway, many thanks Clair, Chris, David, Mark, Henry, Diana, Judy and Robert! keep it coming.
best
Catherine

david drake wrote:
Catherine,
I enjoyed your essay greatly and, yes, the subject is important; I would love to read more on this very topic. Have you noticed how many digital converts are almost 'devout' in there fervor towards this digital revolution. Any response which may appear to be critical of digital 'progress' results in a defensive remark. I have noticed this response quite often and find it quite interesting. Its almost as if the 'convert' has to keep convincing themselves of digital progress' validity. But don't get me wrong, digital definitely has it's place; but like any new technology, one needs to weigh it's pluses and minuses for any given situation. It's sorta fascinating how a new technology infiltrates a culture without any sort of decision making process: do we need this new technology, how will it change society and what are it's drawbacks. Of course, that's the job of the consumer. Most however are led blindly by the pied piper of 'progress'.
david