U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Galina's heads

Galina's heads

I seem to have mentioned this show a few times, but yesterday I got to see it -- and it blew me away. So I do folks within possible range the kindness of telling them: Don't miss it !

Those portrait heads (just about head size, probably more than a hundred, most of them with a "wish" spelled out. (Tho the wishes didn't fascinate per se, they made the living portraits seem very much alive.)

I wouldn't have thought cyanotype could look as real as these people did, a blend of color treatment and expression, probably. (One of Galina's subjects described how carefully she controlled his pose, tho none of them *looked* posed.) Free applications of paint around (some) heads melted into the background, tho a tannish color in (some)face areas added an uncanny realism. (I've seen a lot of photography and managed to restrain my enthusiasm: these are special.)

The show is on through June... probably less than an hour from the Woodstock/Kingston area. (The drive up, starting from the west side highway in midtown NYC, took maybe half an hour.)

The Red and Tan bus line from either the Port Authority or the George Washington Bridge goes to Sparkill, a site of considerable history, by the way -- including several George-Washington-ate-here type locations, which may even be genuine... From Sparkill it's probably a half mile to the Art Students League Estate: I understand you can call and they'll send a car to pick you up.

That's (845)359-1263. (I'm not sure what the hours are, however, so best check that anyway.)

If you're driving, the full address is:

Elizabeth V. Sullivan Gallery
The Art Students League of New York
Vytlacil Campus
241 Kings Highway, Sparkill, New York

It's a lovely spot on a hilltop with sculpture... more info at www.theartstudentsleague.org

I came back by the bus -- a very pretty drive, along hills and rills, plus revolutionary period houses -- until the last lap in New Jersey, & finally the Port Authority, now looking like a printout from one of those high-end inkjets.

Judy