U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum question

Re: gum question

Hi Sam,

Yes, I have noticed that with the Fabriano (about the sizing). When I coat on an "unsized" piece, you can actually tell how much sizing is actually in the paper initially-- because I have to keep going over it to get it to adhere (sort of beads up initially). At least, I assume that's from the sizing. And I have honestly noticed that much more with the heavier weight Fabriano (perhaps why I think it does so much better than the 140 lb weight). When I see that, I keep asking myself-- "now, why am I sizing again?" I have done 2 layers before with no additional sizing and no problems. With 3, I do start to see some staining, and I guess it depends on the pigment used as well. The one coat without additional sizing, though, just seems so much sharper and more defined (and smoother) than even one coat, where I've also added sizing. At least, that's been my experience. Could just be a fluke. I could really get into these one coat gum prints, though. :)

Diana