U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: gum question

RE: gum question

Just a reminder, attachments should not be posted to the list Diana.

From: Diana Bloomfield [mailto:dhbloomfield@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 9:05 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: gum question

Hi Marek,

I'll post the print when it dries. I put another layer on it. Yeah, I normally do size when adding more layers, but I wanted to do a quick print just to see how this toy camera negative would look (to see if it would be distinct or defined (somewhat), or just one blurry mess)- so I didn't bother sizing. And I normally don't dilute, but I guess I used too much pigment (maybe about an inch, or maybe a little less)- this was for a 12x12 image-- and about 3 ml of gum and 3 ml of dichromate. Was that a bad mix? Anyway, it was too thick, so probably too much pigment. But I had the distilled water sitting in my darkroom, where I was mixing, so I just grabbed it and added maybe a tablespoon to this mix-- maybe a little more than that. Seemed to make a watery pale mess once I did that, but I rollered it on, and it turned out great (from my perspective!).

Thanks for that information about why the unsized (one) layer might look better. Here's another thing-- I have some heavy weight Fabriano, and I certainly don't need it for the size prints I'm doing, but every time I use that heavier weight paper, the prints seem smoother and they just look better-- never get any staining, sized or unsized, with that ridiculously heavy paper. It's the same paper as the 140 lb, isn't it? But I swear my results are better every time I use that heavier weight paper. Anyway, I'll take a picture of it soon and post.

Thanks, Marek.