U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | FW: dreamy Nikon lenses

FW: dreamy Nikon lenses

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: FW: dreamy Nikon lenses
  • From: BOB KISS <bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:04:57 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: BOB KISS [mailto:bobkiss@caribsurf.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:02 PM
To: 'Richard Knoppow'
Subject: RE: dreamy Nikon lenses

DEAR ALL,
	I have a 210 mm Dagor and agree that it goes a bit "soft" wide open.
However, it is AMAZINGLY sharp when closed up more than one stop.  I shot a
4X5 T-max 400 neg of a wave about to break on a rock.  You can see it at
http://www.bobkiss.com/gallery/just_before.htm  I was very happy with the
16X20 prints that I made from that neg.  Then an interior decorator wanted a
mural size print of it so I scanned it, Frotoshopped the file, and had a 60
inch high print output on one of those BIG Epson printers.  Amazing!  That
Dagor is phenomenal when closed down.
	I also recall, when I worked in Holography and vibration analysis at
General Electric for two summers during my studies at RIT, I visited the R&D
lab there to chat with the director or research.  He had an optical bench
set up and was using a Dagor for the imaging step (also on 4X5 film).  I
will try to remember what he was doing but he stated that, at 2 stops or
more above wide open, the Dagor was diffraction limited, i.e. the
aberrations were insignificant compared to the image degradation from the
diffraction effects associated with any aperture of the same size
(regardless of the lens design).  That is pretty impressive considering
that, in most lenses, two stops above wide open is where the combination of
the diffraction effects and aberrations reach a minimum and NOT where
aberrations become insignificant.
	Sooooooooooo, while you might find some softening at wide open,
Dagors are superior lenses when closed up even a stop or two.
		CHEERS!
			BOB