From: Edward Draper [mailto:ercdraper@gmail.com]
Sent: 01 August 2008 17:20
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: My first platinum prints - and I'm hooked

Hello there from sunny London

I've just done my first ever batch of platinum prints and I am very pleased with them.

However, there are two major problems

1) the expense of importing kits from Bostick and Sullivan - Santa Fe to London is not cheap
2) The blacks are not as black as I've seen in other platinum prints

I have been told that Solutions A and B should be saturated with oxalic acid - to the point where there is a permanent residue at the bottom of the bottle

Has anyone else had experience of this?

So...

I've decided to mix my own solutions.

I've worked through the suppliers here in the UK and [found the CAS no. for all the substances]

There is one major problem - ferric oxalate. I can get it but it is very expensive - I'm assured that I can make my own quite easily

But I can get hold of ammonium ferric oxalate at a fraction of the cost

I see that this can be used as a substitute

Does anyone have a recipe based on ammonium ferric oxalate?

Thanks a million

Edward (soon to be poor) Draper