U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | And don't forget to have fun!

And don't forget to have fun!

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: And don't forget to have fun!
  • From: Jeremy Moore <jeremydmoore@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:43:33 -0500

I've been doing quite a bit of printing lately and noticed that when coating some cyanotypes I now did it in the same regimented method I used for pd/pt printing. I laid out the negative and marked margins around it in pencil. Then the tape was carefully laid down from pencil mark to pencil mark; Scotch 3M Extra Delicate Release Tape, of course. Next I took solution A from the cabinet and carefully measured 4 drops into a clean shotglass reserved for cyanotype, dropdrop drop, drop. This was chased with 3 drops of solution B, drop drop, drop. (Hey, it's only a 3" x 4" negative!). Then I physically stopped myself and wondered when I'd become so chaste with the cyanotype process; where was the fun?!? So I ran to the cabinet and grabbed a container. Then I ran back to the sink. Then I sloshed it nearly full of water. Next I whipped out the chemicals--and tidily and safely measure the powdered molecules--then with the brew mixed I coated two full sheets of watercolor paper with a disposable sponge from the kitchen.

They went into the closet... to dry.

Thirty minutes later : I grabbed my new bride and we made photogram self-portraits on the sidewalk which we developed rolled up in the bathtub.

So when you're in the lab don't forget to break up the routine and have some fun once in a while!

And, yes, I know what you're wondering: I coated the taped paper with 7 exact drops while the full sheets were drying =)

-Jeremy-