U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | cadmium orange

cadmium orange

There must have been 100 e-mails when I logged on today (after skipping only 1 day I think).... but I seem to have lost one I felt obliged to respond to... so here goes....

Someone mentioned using a cadmium orange. Is that a color name or a real "cadmium"? It's my understanding that at least in this country cadmium is an absolute no no, for environmental reasons, and IIRC discontinued in paints.

Of course given our other environmental sins, and such details as that our coastal oceans are now devoid of oxygen from all the nitrates (fertilizer) that flow into them, a speck of cadmium paint seems trivial, sort of straining at a gnat while swallowing a camel.

Still, I thought it worth mentioning...

J.