U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum preservatves

Re: gum preservatves

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: gum preservatves
  • From: Dirk-Jan Treffers <dirkjan.treffers@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 20:39:20 +0200
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;bh=9q8/pJe8MCMqYCvlKtWdVkmb37GyuDcCXGRgPfOMEwA=;b=LebY+Uc1J8wLxiVt1c+AZHL4GqgIEo1jMzo/xqawP24KHhU6y2bdCaC0hEAtQgoMcOy4KXCzRyjM8CKSzFWCX4/NmJzxukf9Agjh5/FRky+3ykXyecKmhBk+/2Jv/GG7FJiQ2spd0rXCPvKhWn+a0iuhEDx/xjqoMOs360EtjSU=

Judy,

MEK peroxide is a synonym for methyl ethyl ketone peroxide. Seriously
dangerous stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_ethyl_ketone_peroxide
http://www.intox.org/databank/documents/chemical/methylep/cie345.htm

I advise to not use this stuff, as thymol is a far safer preservative.
Or try the other options mentioned by others in this discussion list.
If I were you, I;d get rit of the bottle and hand it over to local
authoryties that collect chemical waste from households. Peroxides,
especcially those who have been on the shelf for several years, can be
very instable. Some of them even explosive. Not to scare you, of
course, just to give a warning to be carefull whith this stuff....
I've studies chemistry, and have seen more than one accident happen
whit chemicals that were disposed of in the inproper method, or used
in a way they shouldn't be. No serious damage came from these
accidents. But better be safe than sorry!

kind regard,

Dirk-Jan