U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum preservatves

Re: gum preservatves

You might want to be a bit careful here. Lemon juice is not
just acid, but it has some reducing properties that can
interact with dichromate. Although less reducing power, citric
acid may also be oxidized by dichromate more easily than gum
molecules. Some other acids, especially mineral acids, have
less reducing, but rather more oxidizing properties. Also,
citric acid and many organic acids have affinity to form
chromium (III) complex ions. I would not attribute your
observation (and also what's described in your quote from
Demachy) to acidity (that is, the pH dependency) until
sufficient evidence is gathered to support such an idea. Also,
meanwhile, modifying your practice based on the assumption
that what's described is an acid effect may lead to a
confusing or inconclusive result.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections