Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 12:59:09 +0200
From: dirkjan.treffers@gmail.com
Subject: question on sizing
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca

dear list members,

I'm a novice at all these processes, so maybe you've encountered this problem a thousand times allready, but maybe you guys (and gals) can help me out:

for tri-colour gum printing, I size my paper. Although I don't think my paper (Arches Aquarelle, 300 g/m, i use both cold and hot pressed) doesn't really need sizing, I last found this paper from bamboo that I like, that actually does need it.

I size with a 3% gelatin solution, with glyoxal as my hardening agent. After drying (single coat of gelatine-size), I notice that my gym/pigment/dichromate solution doesn't really stick on some small parts of the paper. When I use non-hardened paper, I need more of the gum-dichromate solution to coat my paper (but I don't actually mind this.....). On the hardened paper, I need less volume of gum-chrom. solution. But in general, it works fine, but there are (often) small parts, where the paper looke tike it 'rejects' the solution. Don't really know how explain this, but it looks a bit like the paper on that particular spot, doesn;t absorb water-like soltions).

Does any one have any ideas on this? How to size in a way that these spot son't occur any more? Or is sizing on Arches Aquarelle perhaps not even necessary (an idea that I would really like, since this sizing stuff is really boring....)?

Would love to hear your ideas on this issue!

kind reagrd,

DJ