U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Was Re: question on sizing, now fish eyes

Re: Was Re: question on sizing, now fish eyes

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Was Re: question on sizing, now fish eyes
  • From: Keith Gerling <keith.gerling@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 08:59:29 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;bh=1cYgKboWTSSHbvrMvpY3UG9sbHrB6Nw9uuq3EBGgqnk=;b=gKAebE/W0f4BiC2sAy/x+qVtK2j44qCfCs3HKlAqh4g8RvuxixgDwFzVpAJtyMBcGoP2xQItDq7ShevUulQBz0e8HvsIY0IoJNHWpmSWUAd8Qgq8QtXgmowJW/mZyzlCUtaN3zH0giFO91PEtzzmA/mfd4/eTNJPwHMRB9cz7S4=

I only add the defoamer to the gelatin.  My gum-pigment-sensitizer mix
stays pretty much constant, and is pretty dependable, so I attribute
the inconsistencies that do appear to whatever is underneath the gum.
Whether the substrate is metal, glass or paper, gessoed or not, I
usually end up with a coating of gelatin before I apply the gum
emulsion.  While my technique is often loose and sloppy, it is here,
with the application of the gelatin, that I am most likely to get
burned., so it is here that I slow down and make my very best effort
to be consistent and methodical.  Those things you call fish-eyes?  I
always assumed they were caused by air bubbles in the gelatin and I
get them occasionally with paper, but they are very common and are a
royal pain when I work with gessoed surfaces.  The defoamer helps a
lot.