U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Was Re: question on sizing, now fish eyes

Re: Was Re: question on sizing, now fish eyes

Just a couple thoughts:
I think as in all things gum there are a number of different answers to this
question and more than one answer can equate to a contributing factor. In
other words, some get fisheyes on unsized paper with gum but not on unsized
paper with casein. Some get fisheyes with gum with certain pigments more
often than others on sized papers. In Katharine's experiment, below, where
the coating "opens up" on Yupo, this is the fisheye that I am referring to.
It is sort of like when you are making bread dough and it will not "relax"
and so you leave it for a moment to let the yeast work in it and soften its
tendency to spread out into pizza crust or whatnot. Otherwise the bread
dough keeps retracting and doing these little tearing/separating things on
the surface.

My guess is it relates back to the viscidity discussion we had years ago in
that at a certain point of too much or too little even (!) water, the
coating is unable to hold together and retracts, and this ability to not
hold together can be exacerbated by sizing or pigment qualities or pigment
additions or whatnot. But sizing in no way is the main nor only issue
because I always size and I only occasionally get fisheyes---with
magenta---whether first or last coat.

A test if I had time would be to use unsized and sized and coat side by side
same mix ratio of yellow and magenta and see if one could reproduce
consistent results.

But Henry, you are right in that generally they can be worked and brushed out, in my experience as well.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/
----- Original Message ----- From: "Henry Rattle" <henry.rattle@ntlworld.com>