From: Katharine Thayer [mailto:kthayer@pacifier.com]
Sent: 16 September 2008 18:13
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: Fish Eyes again

> On Sep 15, 2008, at 11:33 PM, Loris Medici wrote:

> I have the same problem with the same pigment, Schmincke Ruby Red 351
> PV19. BTW, it's a very very strong paint... Do you think that adding
> alcohol to the coating mix can help?

Sorry, this doesn't make sense to me, Loris.  In the pigment lexicon
I understand, strength of pigment refers to its mixing power (or
layering power, in our case);   a  strong pigment needs to be used
sparingly in order to keep from overwhelming the other colors that it
is mixed or layered with.  In other words, with a strong pigment,
you need to use much less pigment to get the same color intensity
that takes more pigment to achieve with a weaker pigment.  (I'm not
the first person to notice this; I recently came across a paper where
Demachy was making the same point.)

So if the PV 19 is a  strong pigment (in my mind, PV 19 is, yes,
fairly strong as magentas go, but not as strong as lamp black or
pthalo)  then it stands to reason that you should be using less of it
to balance the other colors than you might use of a different pigment
(PR 209, for example, requires a much larger amount of pigment to
achieve the same effect) and I would think that it would be a mix
that had more pigment in it that would require smoothing out with the
Everclear, not one with less pigment.   Unless the purpose of the
Everclear is to smooth out a watery mix rather than a more heavily-
pigmented one.  Or unless you're meaning something entirely different
by the term.  glad you're back, by the way.
Katharine