U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Paper for Pt/Pd

Paper for Pt/Pd

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Paper for Pt/Pd
  • From: Jon Reid <jon@sharperstill.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:49:07 +1000
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:mime-version:content-transfer-encoding:message-id:content-type:to:from:subject:date:x-mailer:sender; bh=Msg+Zpl64eefsfl0f7bVOREwh7QsDzky8KgItKfANLk=;b=yG85BRUXGOYlEG2JwxlemJbMoA55QO3+8X3rFzCqUhvZwK0mibkeQzd6trXz/MuODYzSWY+xuyd+0MvuCMs1hwVdaiiU+WXISKKY2u4DsfOydfK50gXblP4IPCRdy9fR3W+kB7SrjvBKiczgIedzdffEU8tOeCQKtXKsGcW54Rk=
  • Sender: Jon Reid <sharperstill@gmail.com>

Hi all,

Pretty much my whole Pt/Pd printing experience has been on Arches Platine, both with silver and digitally produced internegatives, with the exception of some experiments with Japanese tissue papers (fun when wet!!). Shortly before moving house earlier this year I purchased some Cranes (Weston) Diploma Parchment after reading that it was a recommended substitute for Cranes Platinotype. I purchased 100 sheets in 11"x14" and packed it away while moving house.

Anyway, after working through winter here producing quite a number of 5"x7" pyro developed negatives and I am keen to start printing with a view to an exhibition. I opened the paper packet for the first time last night and was surprised by how warm it was. It is also lighter than I had thought (it was described in imperial on the Bostick + Sullivan website and i didn't bother to convert it to metric - I just assumed it would be quite heavy). Not only am I not sure that this is the best paper for this series of images - due to the warm tone, but i've realised that I didn't by enough to do the whole series in even an edition of four for an exhibition. I still have plenty of Arches Platine, and I will test print on both stocks this weekend but I wanted to ask, in light of all this, what peoples paper experiences and thoughts are?

Jon