U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: test your color IQ

Re: test your color IQ

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: test your color IQ
  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:26:50 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Gerling" <keith.gerling@gmail.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:36 AM
Subject: test your color IQ

This is kind of fun: http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

I scored a 12 and I would have bet that it was perfect, so I'm
switching to monochrome work...

I tried this on two bars and came pretty close. I think the monitor calibration has an effect so the results might be different than if one were doing it with color chips under controlled lighting.
Note that the abiility of the eye to match _adjacent_ areas for color and brightness is very good but that memory, even if just from one side of a page to the other is not.
I was tested for color vision many years ago when I applied for work at the telephone company. Telephone work relied heavily on color coding of wire, etc, so good color discrimination was vital. I scored pretty high but that was practically in another life.
I suspect that another go at this would raise your score.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA