U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Quadtone RIP vs. Custom Curve

Re: Quadtone RIP vs. Custom Curve

Jon,

I'm using QTR for pt/pd diginegs on my 7800, and I think it is a very comprehensive approach once the learning curve is conquered. The flexibility it offers in mixing just the right combinations of ink for a particular purpose is not matched by any other approach right now. That said, I am also a lifelong member of the if-it-ain't-broke-don't- fix-it school of photo processes. So if you have an approach that works just fine, I wouldn't change it.

The largest benefit QTR offers for negative making is that it allows you to use and blend only the inks that have similar UV absorbing behavior. This can be a real godsend if you have problems with speckling or grainy highlights which I think is often due to the built- in driver dithering together two inks with very different UV-absorbing properties. But if that has not been a problem, then I'd say just keep making prints.

Clay