U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: oilprint second try

Re: oilprint second try

Henk,

I've followed the recipe you give on the alternativephotography.com website with little success. I'm using oil pint as that's all I have available here. How stiff does the paint need to be when applired?. I've seen articles where people talk about using chemicals to stiffen up the ink. Is this necessary with oil paint?

Regards

David H

On Oct 6 2008, henk thijs wrote:

Kees,

On 6 okt 2008, at 14:06, Kees Brandenburg wrote:

> Dag Henk,
>
> For bromoil I'm also using litho inks (charbonel, G&C) and
> sometimes the non-coloured G&C extender with added powder pigments.
> I asked this question to know if an oilprint in your opinion, needs
> the same stiff inks as a bromoil. So your answer is: yes it does.
> As a listlurker from 'the old days' I had allready seen and printed
> Klaus Pollmeier's receipe - and wondered if the, maybe more
> fragile, gelatin of an oilprint indeed needed some little pre-
> hardening. I noticed that the non-hardened highlight parts in my
> gelatin layer sometimes don't support heavy inking resulting is a
> stained paper base in the highlights. So you probably are a
> carefull 'hopper'.

No, I do not 'hop' at all: RSI is not only an IT-problem ....
So, i use exclusively cheap foam brayers.
Clearing is normally very easy by spraying a film of water over the
inked area and go over it with a clean brayer.
Pollmeier uses the hot damp of a small water-boiler, but that was for
bromoil (in the case of bromoil you also can use a water temperature
to 50 degrees Celsius, with oil-printing i never go above 25 Celsius).
And beyond that, I had bad experience with less 3 layers of at least
8% gelatine (and also with exposure times less than 1200 seconds)
Regards,
Henk