U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Second tricolor print (repro)

Re: Second tricolor print (repro)

Hi Loris,

Great work and congrates! :)

Jacek

Quoting Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>:

Hi all,

I finished my second tricolor gum print tonight. See below:

Image -> http://tinyurl.com/4t74l4
Detail -> http://tinyurl.com/4bsh45

Same printing procedure (negative making, pigments, dichromate ratio,
exposure, development and whatnot...) as the first one.

a) There's no pointillistic effect on this one -> which concludes that the
pointillism of the first one can be attributed to erasing - harshly - the
badly registered cyan layer and then reprinting it. Probably the
pointillism was caused by the unregistered cyan pigment stain / leftovers.
(Do you buy that?)

b) The non oiled paper negatives work perfectly -> sharp image with good
tonality. The actual size of the label is 6.5mm on print (see detail) and
you can read each and every letter / number on that label.

c) This is a digital camera reproduction since the actual image size won't
allow me to scan it (9.5x12"). I couldn't set the custom white balance for
that shot (due the peculiar lightsource) + there's a reflection on the
upper left corner (print wasn't absolutely flat), so it's an approximation
of the real print. The actual print is colder (bricks are redder, not as
orange as depicted + highlights are less yellow). Will try to find an A3
scanner later, in order to scan it properly.

The image itself isn't much special; I just took it because it was a
colorful scene with lots of texture (thinking "ah, that could do well for
a tricolor gum practice")...

I guess I'm close - to ultimate success(!) (read as, to be satisfied with
what I get). I need to rework the curve, I think I can get better shadow
detail -> this one's a little weak. I would be grateful if you share your
thoughts.