U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Paper negatives- Ink Selection

Re: Paper negatives- Ink Selection

"If Keith were to increase his dichromate from pot di full strength to
am di full strength, yes the curve changes and I assume he would
recalibrate to make a curve for full strength.  But if I remember,
Keith is fairly loosey goosey about his practice and produces
excellent work so he may not need to."

While I do feel better that I am throwing less toxic chemicals into
the environment by diluting the sensitizer, in actuality, I am not so
much "diluting the sensitizer" as "thinning the emulsion" so that it
will spread easier.  As I think I have discussed before, I like to
humidify the paper prior to coating to make it less "grabby".  Masa
doesn't work that way.  In an interim step between humidification and
thinner emulsion, I was spraying the surface of the paper with water.
Since I was diluting it anyway, as a move towards More Consistancy and
Less Loosey Goosey I just added the water to the mix.

I'll try am di and see what that brings.  If I recall, it is a bigger
hassle to obtain am di.  More hazardous maybe?