U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Paper negatives- Ink Selection

Re: Paper negatives- Ink Selection

Hi again Laura,
This is interesting, and consistent with what I've observed.

I'm thinking, like Guido, that I may go back to printing greyscale
with all color inks, because the colorized negatives use up color
cartridges so fast. But your rationale also makes sense; it's very
hard to register negatives that you can hardly see.

Katharine

On Oct 15, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Laura Valentino wrote:

ender100 wrote:
> Exposure time does not depend on the printer, ink or color of the
> negative—it merely depends on the substrate you are printing
> on—providing all other variables are equal.

Interestingly, when I did did my oiled paper negative test (Epson
Photo Quality inkjet paper oiled with baby oil), I used the exact
same exposure as when I use Arista OHP (with the same printer
settings, curve, etc). This is just anecdotal, because my tests are
not very scientific, and doesn't disprove what you are saying, but
still, I was surprised.

And since the subject of this thread is Ink Selection, I'll add
that I use the "color" setting, which on my printer is all color
inks plus the black cartridge. I started out using a color chosen
using Michael Koch-Schulte's method (it was something about the blk
ink having a different density than the color inks, so the curve
would be uneven in areas that used more black), but I started using
the all color simply because I can see the image on the negative
better so it makes registration easier for me.

Laura