U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum calibration (was: Paper negatives- Ink Selection)

Re: Gum calibration (was: Paper negatives- Ink Selection)

Hi Loris,

I think I am beginning to understand where you are going with this thread.

Thanks for bringing density range into the discussion, that was very helpful.

My earlier comment regarding Standard Exposure Time being dependent upon the base density of the substrate for the negatives and not on printer or inks was in response to a comment K Thayer made.

You are correct, the curve has nothing to do with the calibration step you are talking about.

However, the density range of the negative does not affect the exposure.  Exposure is still merely dependent upon the UV density of the substrate you are printing on.  Once the exposure is determined, then you just match the density range of the negative to the exposure scale of the contrast mix you are using.  If, for some reason you have a fixed density range in the negative, say from using all inks to make a "grayscale negative", then you must alter the contrast mix so that its exposure scale matches the density range of the negative.  If you end up with a density range that is too high, your highlights will be blown out.  However, if you try to bring tone into the highlights by increasing exposure, you end up over exposing the shadows and blocking them up.  What should be done in this case is to either increase the exposure scale of the contrast mix (by adding more chromate) to match the negative or reduce the density range of the negative, as you have suggested, to match the exposure scale of the contrast mix.

You are quite right in saying that if you and Keith are using different printers, inks, and drivers, you will get different Density Ranges in your negatives.  Even the same printer and inkset and driver settings on two different printers will give a slight variation.

Best Wishes,

Mark Nelson