U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Stock Paint:Gum Solutions?

Re: Stock Paint:Gum Solutions?

OK this is it--one last email before I get on the road. Have to teach a gum workshop in Missoula MT 200 mi away and I have to have my hubby drive me there because I can't drive with a knee brace. He has to sit in a town for two days entertaining himself so you can imagine he's one happy camper.

I mix all pigments 15ml tube in a total volume of 60ml because that is the size nalgene bottles I have.

At time of use I cut my pigments with plain gum--thalo gets cut as much as 1+5, yellow maybe 1+2, magenta maybe 1+3, depending.

Stock solutions are a cinch to use, and I only have problems with the heavy pigments which settle and separate into a sludge on the bottom--nickel titanate, cerulean, cadmiums. Since I no longer use these colors, mixing stock is not a problem for me as far as separation is concerned.

I think your thalo may be too concentrated, but I notice a progression of yellow-magenta-thalo which I also do as far as strength.

One more thing--at time of use I may decide to do an undersaturated print, too, in which case I cut all pigments way more.

There are several list members who have this down to a real exactitude--Marek, Dave Rose used to, and they'll tell you exactly how much. OH, you could do a search for Dave Rose's posts a few years back but he did use powdered pigment.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/
----- Original Message ----- From: "Loris Medici" <mail@loris.medici.name>