U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Gum Calibration 3 (Dark Tricolor)

RE: Gum Calibration 3 (Dark Tricolor)

Loris,
I somehow missed your method of negative generation, double curve is not a way to go since you are likely to apply opposite curves. Yo ushould only apply one curve. On the other hand you are printing paper negatives so you have to love and embrace the artifacts!
Just by looking at your printed gray scale I would say you have your pigment density correct, your gum thickness  and your exposure correct.
I have to say I just love the texture that I see in the print. Perhaps this is what I am looking for to emulate fresson print. This random non-photoshop texture seems to be very appealing to me. Does your paper substarte contribute to this in a ddition to paper negative?

Perhaps a little less exposure or longer development might shift you tonality a bit.
What is your development time?

 What is not quite Ok is the fact that you would need such a drastic curve to bring your negative to more or less correct DR. DId you try to print your negative with just balck ink only if the printer allows it, especially if you can have matt ink which is universally carbon black and consistent from printer to printer.
Marek

> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:09:37 +0200
> From: mail@loris.medici.name
> Subject: RE: Gum Calibration 3 (Dark Tricolor)
> To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
>
> Hi Marek,
>
> How is this to your eyes? Christina & others?
>
> http://www.loris.medici.name/gum/calibration/m_100step_1.jpg
>
> This is the scan of non curved 100-step tablet at standard printing
> exposure. (HP9180, all inks grayscale, plain paper profile, best quality,
> non oiled 18lb inkjet bond, 15ml PV19 into 360ml gum, 1+1 gum+dichromate,
> 10% ammonium dichromate, 8:00, UVBL array...)
>
> There's some unevenness (especially at top to middle left), but manageable...
>
> BTW, I definitely see the need of a curve (or any other mapping method)
> here; because of poor shadow separation...
>
> Regards,
> Loris.
>

> 27 Ekim 2008, Pazartesi, 5:39 pm tarihinde, Marek Matusz yazmış:
> > It seems to me that diluting your stock pigment solutions with additional
> > gum will lead you to weakly pigmented layers.

Want to read Hotmail messages in Outlook? The Wordsmiths show you how. Learn Now