U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Kim Sookang

Re: Kim Sookang

29 Ekim 2008, Çarşamba, 3:53 am tarihinde, Judy Seigel yazmış:
> And here, at the risk of being kicked off the team, I'll add that I can't
> help wondering if the precision methods for getting "correct" color in gum
> under discussion here lately were the curriculum in a class like that,
> would Sookang and other students have been so freely creative?  I mean if
> the goal is "correct" literal, realistic, photographic scale, detail,
> separation, color, etc., why mess with poison?  Inkjet prints on a
> slightly textured paper could do that perfectly --and are often stunning.

Very true and agree 100%. As I said before (remember painting education
analogy?), my first goal is to do it in a controlled / perfect way (!? as
much as possible), only then I can allow myself to do it in a more
intuition based / instinctive way (casual, if you like, which is the real
thing I want to do)... Thay way, I will be more sure that what's on paper
is more the result of my will instead of happy accidents and/or
submission. I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear...

BTW, I don't agree with you on the example of art class. If it were the
way you describe / fear we wouldn't see artists like Picasso or Dali
around, no way! Creativity has nothing to do with one's education (or the
direction you were pushed to), it's something that comes from the
inside...