U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Off topic, photo history text question

Re: Off topic, photo history text question

Francis,

I've always thought Beaumont Newhall's, ' History of Photography,' is very good- though written a while ago and also covers the beginning of photography as well.  I have that book and have always liked it for reference, though I'm sure there are many others, perhaps written more recently, and in a more engaging style.  Still, I've always liked it.  I would think anything written by Peter Bunnell, on that particular period, would be worth investigating, too.  And I don't have this book, nor have I seen it, but a friend of mine (who teaches) mentioned it to me once-- Robert Hirsch's 'Seizing the Light: A History of Photography.'  Again, not sure of the exact years that one covers, but my friend seemed to think it was worthwhile.

Diana