Any thoughts out there?

Best Wishes,

Mark Nelson
On Nov 14, 2008, at 8:43:46 PM, "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com> wrote:
From:"Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
Subject:varnishes / was Re: fabriano artistico EW
Date:November 14, 2008 8:43:46 PM CST
To:alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Paul Viapiano wrote:

> Waiting for my prints to dry now...why do they always look so good in the
> wash and then get a bit hazy after drying down? ;-(

That's the difference between wet and dry ! This has been a perennial
issue, first mentioned (AFAIK) by Robert Demachy in one of his first
articles about gum printing -- he wrote about watching the "wet look" come
back to the dry print when he applied the Vernis Soehnee, or the Soehnee
Varnish that I've been trying ever since to identify... It sounds like
some kind of shellac or lacquer (being soluble in alcohol). Many formulas
for varnishes are listed in old formularies for coating all kinds of
prints, but...

I've tried some to NO satisfaction, but plan to try some more... have a
list somewhere of possibilities...

J.