U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: 3 questions (one of them dumb)

Re: 3 questions (one of them dumb)

From: Jack Fulton <jefulton1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: 3 questions (one of them dumb)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:32:10 -0800

> I thought, also, Ryuji, that distilled water is that which
> has virtually no dissolved minerals . . . what does
> chlorination have to do with distilled water? Does that mean
> if you have chlorination you could add Hydrogen Peroxide and
> remove the chlorine and then have distilled water?

I didn't mean that.

What really forms cloudy matter in silver nitrate solution is
one or more of the chlorination-related compounds, and rarely
other compounds. So, even if the water isn't completely pure,
silver nitrate shouldn't  form white participates as long as
chlorinating compounds are absent. So, test for chlorination
is sufficient for this purpose. It was not meant to redefine
"distilled."

Of course, conductivity is one good test. But at the same
time, a lot of waters that fail conductivity test may be
perfectly fine for silver nitrate solution.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Make something religious and people don't have to deal with it, they