U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Basic toning

Re: Basic toning

For just a slight warm tone on a regular neutral toned silver gelatin print, I find that the bleach and redevelop thiocarbamide toning  with a higher pH redeveloper works the best. It is really very simple to prepare. One simple recipe that I use all the time on Ilford MG IV and Oriental paper:

Bleach

Potassium ferricyanide 8g
potassium bromide 8g
water to 1 liter

Bleach until all the remains is a straw colored image. Rinse the paper thoroughly until free of any visible traces of the bleach.

Redevelop with moderate agitation for about 5 minutes:

Thiocarbamide (Thiourea)   3g
sodium hydroxide 8g (careful with this stuff!)
in 1 liter of water

Simple and easy